PIAP Space sp. z o.o.
PIAP Space is a spin-off company for space industry activities, set up by PIAP Institute. The company specializes in: robotics, automatics and mechanics. PIAP Space develops and offers technologies and products in areas like: Robotics Arms and End-Effectors for on Orbit Satellite Servicing. The company offers services in the area of design and manufacturing of MGSEs, structures and mechanisms for satellites.
1. Comrade - Control and Management of Robotics Active Debris Removal
A joint project with Airbus, GMV and DLR based on the development of software to control the robotic arm for servicing satellites. PIAP Space supplies a HIL type gripper and a gripper contact model during an interception maneuver.
2. RaCER - Rover Speed Characterization for Lunar Exploration
The project is to test the impact of delays in robot teleoperation for lunar missions. As the reference mission, the Heracles study was adopted, which defines the most likely scenario of the moon mission seeking water. The mission would take place in 2027 or 2028. The project uses one of the PIAP robots as a test vehicle.
3. Biomass Adaptor
PIAP Space designs and manufactures a set of three adaptors for testing and integration of the ESA Biomass satellite. Two adaptors are designed for thermal testing and satellite integration, and the third for vibration testing. The delivery is planned in the first quarter of 2019.
4. Biomass MPT - Spacecraft Container and Multi-Purpose Trolley (MPT).
PIAP Space together with the Italian company Elital designs and manufactures two MGSE for ESA Biomass satellite. The first is the container for transporting the satellite from the integration hall to the starting place, the other is the MPT device for satellite integration. Delivery is scheduled for II quarter 2019.
5. Preparatory activities for short term projects in MGSE related projects
Succeses and awadrs
The prize "Innowatory Wprost 2018" - The results of the robotic LAR gripper project were appreciated. It is a joint production of Industrial Research Institute for Automation and Measurements PIAP and PIAP Space Sp. z o.o.
Experience in Big Science projects
During the first 15 months of the company's operation, it won contracts worth PLN 2.5 million. The creation of PIAP Space was possible thanks to Poland's accession to the European Space Agency. This fact opened up the possibility of applying for contracts on the pan-European market whose acquisition allowed the company to join the European supply chain in the aerospace sector.
• mechanical parts (mechanisms and mechanical systems)
• Platform for testing mechanisms in a vacuum
• Designing mechanisms
• Designing structures supporting the integration and testing of satellites
• Execution and production of structures and mechanisms
• Mechanical integration of devices
• Consultancy in the field of robotics
3. AREAS OF MARKET ACTIVITY
• Robotics orbital - satellite service
• Planetary robotics - In-Situ Resource Utilization
4. AREAS OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES
• Autonomous systems
• Vision systems
• Touch sensors
• Gripping and docking mechanisms